Mushrooms are a favorite choice for weeknight dinners. They cook quickly and absorb flavours well. This mushroom curry is amazing with jeera rice, rotis or even frozen parathas.
This recipe does need a pressure cooker. It is my most favorite gadget/utensil in the kitchen. For a family of two, I own three two-litre cookers. My kitchen is ‘tiny’ and I have cooked for up to 15 people using these three cookers and now recently, an Instant pot. If there is one skill you have to master in the Indian kitchen – it is using a pressure cooker efficiently!
This mushroom peas curry will soon be a repeat favourite in your kitchen.
Do I need a special cooker to make this?
NO. I have tried this in a Prestige 2L cooker and it works fine. I know several who have tried this in several cookers and it works well. Make sure the cooker is in good condition. That means, working valves and a good whistle.
Can I make this in an Instant Pot?
Simple! Sauté cumin, onions, and tomatoes, add spiced mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, manual release!
12 Minutes Creamy Mushroom Mutter
- pressure cooker
Spice mix for mushrooms
- 15 halved mushrooms I used white buttom mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp kasoori methi
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Onion tomato gravy base
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 chopped medium sized onion
- 1 chopped medium sized tomato
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1 cup peas I use frozen and thawed peas
- 2 tbsp cream/coconut milk optional
- coriander leaves to garnish
Making spiced mushrooms
- Remove stem and chop 15 mushrooms. Add 1/2 tsp each turmeric, redchilli, coriander, kasuri methi, salt. Mix well and keep aside.
Making onion tomato gravy
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tsp cumin. To this, add 1 chopped onion on one side of the cooker and 1 medium tomato chopped to the other side of the cooker.
- This recipe does not require sauteeing of onions ,tomatoes. You can choose to do so if you wish, however for this recipe – I do not. The oil and water in onion/mushrooms is enough to cook them.
- . Add 1/2 tsp salt. Place spiced mushrooms on top. I usually place them directly on top, but you can keep it in a small bowl
- Close and cook for 4 whistles in high to medium heat. It should take about 3-4 minutes.
Garnish and serve
- Release pressure, mix in 1 cup frozen peas, 2 tbsp cream/milk, coriander leaves. Close and keep till you serve.
This recipe is based on the techniques I learnt in a one pot one shot group on facebook. OPOS is a registered cooking technique and this recipes DOES not qualify for it. It is based on my learnings and is not directly taken from a single source.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help me learn more about your preferences and will help other readers.
Love this post? Here are some links if you would like to share it with your friends: