This delicious one bowl strawberry cake cannot be easier! It has mostly pantry staple ingredients, takes about 20 minutes to put together and in less than an hour, you could be biting into this treat.
In case you didn’t realize yet, I LOVE baking with fruits. There are not too many recipes yet on the blog, but you should check this vegan apple and dates cake ( lumberjack cake), this absolutely stunning mango semolina cake and even this healthy orange chocolate energy bar. All of them are absolute winners and you should try them ( and bonus, they are all eggless too!)
I take eggs regularly and also bake with them often. However, when I share something with eggs in them, I get asked for eggless substitutes! Given that most of my baking is really home style (your girl is not making macaroons ok) and can easily be understood,I try to make eggless bakes often. A lot of eggless recipes (Indian, atleast) use condensed milk or yoghurt for binding the ingredients. While this works well in a lot of recipes, I find that it gives a dense cake most of the time. Now, dense cakes are great if we are making a banana bread or a dates cake but for a berry cake or for a moist chocolate cake, a lighter crumb makes all the difference. One of my favourite hacks in eggless baking is using vinegar!
A surprising ingredient for the traditional Indian cook, isn’t it? I mean, how many of our mothers had a bottle of vinegar to cook in the kitchen? I picked this tip first from Cookie and Kate and have incorporated it in so many of my bakes.
Easy Eggless One Bowl Strawberry Cake
- 1½ cups plain flour 180 grams, can be substituted with half almond meal or half whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk whisk 1/2 cup homemade curd with 1/2 cup water well and use in this recipe. Alternatively, you can make your own buttermilk by combining milk and vinegar – Mix 1 cup milk with 1 tsp ACV and let it sit for 5 minutes and use.
- ⅓ cup oil any neutral oil like vegetable oil, canola oil
- ⅔ cup sugar 130 grams of raw sugar, white sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest from one orange
- 100 grams chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking pan ( I used a 7 inch round pan) and set aside.
- In a cup, add the buttermilk or combine the milk and vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Then, add the oil, orange zest, sugar and whisk well. Set aside
- To a bowl, add the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and lightly mix. Then, add the chopped strawberries and mix only until combined.
- Pour into a greased pan and top with more strawberries. Sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake at 180C for 30 minutes. Check with a skewer from 25 minutes and remove when it comes out clean.
- I originally tried this recipe with all purpose flour, store bought buttermilk and eggs last year. I wanted an eggless version and one that can be easily recreated at homes, so made some changes.
- Orange zest adds a freshness to the cake, it can be omitted if you do not have it.
- Strawberries are optional, and can be omitted or substituted with another berry like raspberries.
- I have tried this cake with a mix of flour and almond meal and it doesn’t rise as much but is still delicious!
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help me learn more about what your preferences and other readers.
Manasa VinayDecember 14, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Hi Archana. The recipe looks so yummy and delicious. And with only a few ingredients it must be a treat. Will surely try it. Since I don have an oven , will try it in a cooker and let you know how it turned out. Thank you ?
myflavourfactoryDecember 23, 2022 at 4:21 pm
thanks manasa, do let me know.