Overnight Oats is one of my favourite food trends! This Indian inspires overnight oats has saffron, almonds and is so delicious with warming spices like cardamom and cinnamon.
Meet my Kesar Badam Overnight Oats. It’s so ridiculously simple that giving a recipe seems wrong. If you’re looking for a soothing and comforting breakfast that is not too sweet, make this. If you’re like me and prefer savoury breakfasts, I’ll share my favourite overnight ‘rasam’ oats soon!
It will take shorter to make this ‘dish’ than to read this recipe. If you try it once, you will come up with more amazing ways to make it your own.
This is almost an oats kheer!
I wont tell anyone. BUT, dont you think cake for breakfast is a little old? Let’s make kheer for breakfast – and we will make it ‘healthy’ with some oats, chia seeds and nuts. Because why not?
I shared this recipe first on my Instagram on April 13th, 2020. On the next day, I had several people send me pictures of this as their ‘sweet’ for tamil new year’s day! So, yes – it is a kheer in disguise.
Can I make this overnight oats nut free?
YES. I add a mixed nuts powder that I always store at home. The recipe is below. It is a handy mix to have in your pantry to sprinkle on any dessert, or to add to an energy bar or simply to sprinkle on oats, granola. In this recipe though, it is optional. If you don’t want to add nuts, then skip it! I also use this nut power to make energy bites, like these oats and sesame ones.
Can I make this overnight oats with dairy milk?
YES. I have not tried but it should work okay. If you are using dairy milk, do use boiled and cooled milk.
It’s been 9 months since I quit cow milk and I don’t miss it at all. There are SO many vegan options in the market today! If you ask me health benefits, it’s not easy to say but straight up my stomach flare ups have reduced, skin is so much better. I rarely feel bloated except when I binge on pizza. Milk was one product I’ve had all my life and my skin has always been a trouble for me – simply quitting it has made a world of difference!
Can I use any other vegan milk?
I love Oatly in this because it mimics the creaminess of dairy milk really well. That said, I think almond milk will also go really well with the flavours in this bowl of deliciousness.
Kesar Badam Overnight Oats
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp mixed nut powder recipe below
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan milk I recommend this with Oatly, if you are looking for a vegan option. It is so creamy and delicious.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sweetener You can use more or less sweetener of your choice. I use coconut sugar or stevia liquid sweetener for this usually.
- 1/2 pinch saffron optional, but if you have it do add it.
- To a bottle, add all these and close. Shake and refrigerate overnight.
- Microwave for a minute and have a bowl of comfort next morning.
Mixed Nuts Powder
- To make mixed nuts powder, I added a mix of cashews, almonds and pistachios to a baking tray, roasted for 5-7 minutes and ground to a coarse powder with some cardamom and saffron. The roasting can also be done on a pan and it is to remove moisture. This powder is amazing to add to any kheer, make masala paal,bake a quick cookie or to just add to oats like this.
I make this every week and love it. It makes my mornings festive and warms me into a cozy mood for work.
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help me learn more about your preferences and will help other readers.
Love this post? Here are some links if you would like to share it with your friends: