Make this Mushroom pulao in 30 minutes. It is a one-pot, nutritious, and absolutely delicious meal. This recipe has very minimal spices and relies on the natural flavours of fresh vegetables and herbs to make it amazing. Soft mushroom pieces, crunchy pieces, mildly flavoured with mint and cumin, fluffy cooked basmati rice – what are you waiting for?!
I say 20 minutes because there is hardly any chopping involved in this recipe! Slice onion thin, slit a couple of chilies, chop some herbs, take that bag of frozen peas from your freezer, and quarter the mushrooms – that takes how many minutes?!
Mushroom Peas Pulao
- 1 cup quartered button mushrooms
- ½ cup frozen peas or substitute with fresh peas,
- 1 tsp ghee substiute with oil for vegan
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1 piece clove
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup chopped onions about 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or 1 inch ginger grated)
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or 3 cloves garlic grated)
- 2 green chillies (slit) (omit if not a fan of spice)
- 2 tbsp mint leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup basmati rice rinsed and soaked for 15 minutes
- 1 cup hot water
- Rinse, drain and soak basmati rice for 10 minutes. In the soaking/marinating time, quarter mushrooms, slice an onion, slit chillies, chop herbs and set aside
- To a 2L pressure cooker on medium flame (Induction 800W), add the oil and ghee, followed by the spices, cumin seeds, chilli, sliced onions and fry till it is golden brown.
- Now, add the mushrooms and mix well. Ensure the flame is on low so the onions dont brown too much.
- Add the herbs and garam masala. Mix well and then add water. Let it come to a boil.
- Add peas and the soaked, drained basmati rice and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Close the cooker, place the weight and turn flame to low (Induction 400W) for 5 minutes or one whistle, whichever is earlier. Ensure the flame is not higher than low.
- Let pressure fully settle ( takes 7-10 minutes). The delicious mushroom pulao is ready!
Not a fan of mushrooms?
I hear you! The same recipe for Mushroom Pulao works well with paneer. Vegetables may require a little more cooking time.
Making it vegan?
Simple! Substitute the ghee for a neutral oil.
Want to make Mushroom Pulao in Instant Pot?
Ah, yes. I cook basmati rice for pulao/biryani for 4 minutes on Manual mode and release pressure immediately if there are no vegetables (or vegetables like mushrooms) used.
This recipe was made for just two adults, so I have used 1/2 cup of rice. It can easily be doubled or tripled! Just add adequate spice, taste the water to adjust salt and use a big vessel. It is so simple and tasty!
Watch me make Mushroom Peas Pulao here!
Want more 30 minute One Pot recipes?
Please leave a comment below if you made this recipe, have any questions or thoughts! Your comment will help me learn more about your preferences and will help other readers.
Love this post? Here are some links if you would like to share it with your friends:
PreetsMarch 2, 2022 at 9:55 am
Mushroom peas pulao – Very tasty and healthy recipe and can be done very quickly.